Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Vegan Pizza from Papa John's!

My husband had a hankering for pizza the other night and while it was tempting to jump off the vegan bandwagon to join in the cheesy goodness, the more I thought about it the more guilty I felt. Luckily Papa John's came to the rescue!

While my husband ordered a small pizza with every meat known to man on it, I ordered a small "vegan" pizza. What's that? Why it's delicious that's what it is!

Papa John's is great because online they give you the option to control EVERYTHING that goes on to your pizza. I picked a small pizza, easy on the sauce (they always put too much on at our store) with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and black olives. I was dubious that it wouldn't be very good.

Boy was I wrong! Don't knock it until you've tried it cheese lovers! I may have made nummy noises when I took the first bite. Unlike pizza loaded down with cheese I could actually TASTE all of the flavors of the pizza. It was excellent and I didn't miss the cheese at all!

So why did I call it "vegan" pizza? While the dough Papa John's uses doesn't contain eggs or milk, their website claims that there may be "animal enzymes" in the yeast. Knowing that yeast is really a fungus I kind of find this hard to believe, but if you're a vegan that's concerned with things like this it would probably be best to avoid Papa John's.

Papa John's "vegan" pizza gets two thumbs up from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment